Grades are checked twice a quarter – at the Progress Report and at the end of each quarter. According to NCHSAA rules, “No student may be approved for any athletic contest if his or her 19th birthday comes on or before August 31 …” of the current school year.
Once selected for a team, athletes must submit a $75 participation fee. This fee is good for the entire year, regardless of the number of sports one participates in. It must be paid by the first contest of the sport of participation.
- All student-athletes involved in the athletic program must be in attendance at school for at least 4 hours in order to participate in a game or practice scheduled for that day. If a student-athlete goes home at any point during the day because of illness, injury, or disciplinary infraction, they will not be permitted to participate in team sports that day. Students choosing not to attend field trips or attending any other educational function (i.e. Take Your Child To Work Day) will be required to come to school unless prior approval is given by the Athletic Director.
- No students will be added to a team’s roster after 25% of the season has been completed.
- If an athlete fails to maintain a C (70) average overall (when averaging all their class grades together), at the time of Progress Reports and Report Cards, that athlete is placed on probation and is ineligible to participate in athletics. With the approval of Franklin Academy administration, team coaches may enforce stricter grade requirements.
- If an athlete has received a failing grade (59 or below) in any class on their progress report or report card, they will be placed on probation. This includes electives (i.e. PE/Health/Technology, Personal Fitness).
- Ineligible athletes are not permitted to practice with the team, participate in games, dress-out, or sit on the team bench.
- Students who are ineligible to play may return to the team at the next reporting period if they become eligible.
- Parents will be notified via email of ineligibility
- Student athletes are expected to participate and dress out for PE classes on game days. If
an athletic team is dismissed during a PE class time, the PE instructor will determine if
there is time for the student to dress for PE. Not dressing out will result in a zero for PE
for the day and parents will be notified by the PE teacher per classroom policy.
For early dismissal times announced by the coach or athletic director, student-athletes are required to dress out for physical education class if the dismissal time is after 2:25pm(MS) or 2:40pm(HS). If the dismissal time is 2:25pm (MS), 2:40 (HS) or earlier, student-athletes will not be required to dress out.